We're very excited for a great year of full-day learning and inquiry! September will be busy with routines and getting into the swing of things so, in keeping with that, here are some housekeeping items for the start of the year:
Mme S. Wilson - French Teacher
Mrs. A. Landry - English Teacher
Mrs. D. Blair - RECE
We will be using this website to communicate information to you throughout the school year. We will also have a twitter account where more specific learning inquiries, events, photos, news or creations will be posted. Please follow our class on twitter at @StjamesK3s
Below is a list of important information and requests:
- Your child should carry a lightweight, full-sized backpack to school every day.
- Your child will come home with a “Mailbag” with their name on it. We will use this bag to send home any notes/communications. For your child`s safety, always send written instructions about changes in your child`s routine (e.g. a different caregiver, or if you will be picking up your child early, etc.) in the Communication Book. We kindly ask that you leave your child’s Communication Book open to the page where you have written a note so that it can be read quickly and not missed by the educators. Please check the “Mailbag” daily for information from school.
- Please send a small blanket that can be left at school for Quiet Time. When choosing a blanket to send in for your child, please keep in mind that it must be able to fit into a storage bin the size of a shoebox. (A receiving blanket would be the perfect size!)
- Indoor Shoes: A pair of non-slip, non-marking easy to get on running shoes (velcro or elastic closure only) are requested to wear in the classroom and gym. These shoes will remain at school as their “indoor shoes”. Please make sure that your child can put their shoes on independently, in order to ease transitions throughout the day.
- Your child is asked to bring a full change of clothes (including socks and underwear) to be kept at school in case of spills or accidents. Please label and place items in a large Ziplock bag for storage.
- Your child will have a scheduled lunch and two optional snack breaks. St. James School encourages healthy eating. Cheese & crackers, yogurt, hummus, deli meats, fruits and veggies and homemade muffins are all great options to fuel your little one throughout the day. Please place these nutritious meals in reusable containers labelled with your child’s name. NO NUTS or NUT products please! When packing your child’s lunch and snack please make sure to use easy to open containers and a reusable water bottle for your child to use throughout the day.
- Please do not allow your child to bring toys to school. Loss or breakage can cause upset!
- It is important that your child comes to school in clothes in which he or she can play. Our classroom will be a busy one where paint, markers, sand and water play as well as outdoor play is encouraged.
- A donation of a box of facial tissue (Kleenex), Large Ziplock Bags, plastic spoons/forks, a craft supply (buttons, feathers, pipe cleaners, shells, foam shapes, pony beads, popsicle sticks, etc.) and/or white erasers would be greatly appreciated. Please check our class website for items we may be “wishing for” during the school year, such as materials to make playdough which we use regularly in our classroom as a sensory component.
- Scholastic Book Orders will be sent home each month. If you would like to purchase a book please send your order form and a cheque made out to Scholastic Canada Ltd. On the due date or use the parent pay online feature (Sorry no cash!).
- Family Photo: Our classroom will have a family tree and a family photo album that students can look at to remind them of home. If possible, please send in two family photo’s with your child to school. These photos will be returned to you at the end of the school year.
The Kindergarten Team